The weather is so cold at the moment I thought it would be an ideal time to share another healthy recipe to warm us up! I love quick, easy to prepare recipes that are healthy and taste great. I also love sweet potatoes, so you can see why this recipe is a favorite. And it only takes 15 minutes max. to prepare, cook and serve. Simply follow the step-by-step guide with photos below and you can’t go wrong
Note: I’m afraid I was having trouble with the constantly changing light, so some of the photos look a little cold or out of focus. But luckily that doesn’t effect the taste
What You Will Need
1 Sweet potato
1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Mild curry powder2 tablespoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 small Onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Spinach or cooked leafy green vegetable of choice
1. Scrub the sweet potato under running water to remove and dirt. Then leaving the skin on, slice off both ends of the potato and slice into fries (thin wedges). I only used half the sweet potato.
2. Fill a pot with water.
3. Place a steamer on top and place the sweet potato fries inside. Don’t cover all the holes in the steamer as you want the steam to circulate.
4. Cover with the lid, and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. While the fries are cooking, pour the olive oil and add the lemon juice.
6. Add the sea salt and black pepper, then add the curry powder.
7. Add the diced onion and stir with a fork.
8. Carefully lift the lid to avoid being burned by the escaping steam, and check the sweet potato with a fork to see if it’s done. It should be soft, but not mushy.
9. Transfer the fries to a small mixing bowl and pour the dressing on top.
10. Gently stir with a fork to full coat each fry, without squashing them (like I did, oops ).
11. Serve on a bed of baby spinach or green vegetable of choice.
Make sure you eat it straight away, as it goes cold fast!!!
You can also cook the sweet potato fries in the oven if you prefer. Preheat the oven to 350° F/180°C. Follow step one as above, then place the fries on a baking tray. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil over a low heat, and pour over the fries, turning to coat. Cook for 30 minutes. While they are cooking make the dressing as above. Remove the fries from the tray and coat. I like to steam them because it’s generally better to cook foods with moisture rather than dry heat. Plus it’s much quicker. But the choice is yours.
They go great with a salad, with chicken, salmon, or a homemade beef burger. Have them in place of grains (rice, quinoa, pasta) or breads you would generally have with a meal.
Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene and vitamin C, which we could all benefit from at this time of year. For information on the health benefits of sweet potatoes, check out my sweet potato article here.
So give them a try, and please leave a comment to let me know what you think
Did you enjoy this post? Click below to “like”.